Demystifying Mixed Media
Hello friends, I'm back again with a stunning fun-filled card to share with you. Tania Ahmed was the instructor for this class, and she shared with us so many valuable tips and techniques. One of the methods that I applied to this card was mixing my shimmer spray ink with embossing paste to create a bold texture plus sprinkling translucent pearl embossing powder on top for a magical theme. Tania's project inspiration was true to its word INSPIRATIONAL!
There was not much planning for this card, but just full of fun play, Altenew products seem to go well together as the name suggests, from Enchanted Gold Wax Beads to Enchanted Gold Metallic Thread. This Christmas colour scheme that I've chosen is beyond the traditional, yet I love every step of my happy experimental card. I have to say my new top 3 favourites from Altenew are their Translucent Pearl Powder, Shimmer Ink Spray and Wax Seal Stamp.
- On a 4" x 5 1/4" watercolour paper, spray Sunkissed, Coral Berry and Orange Cream shimmer spray. Use a rubber brayer to spread the ink out vertically.
- Create your background text stamp by sticking many Christmas sentiments inline together on an acrylic block and stamp it with Jet Black crisp ink. Heat set to dry.
- Mix Coral Berry ink spray with white embossing paste, have variations from light to dark shades of embossing paste. Secure your stencil on your front panel with washi tape then using a palette knife apply your paste. Remove your stencil and sprinkle your embossing powder on top of your paste. Heat set your embossing powder.
- Wrap the metallic thread around your front panel and hold it in place with tape runner from behind. Melt your seal beads (3-4) pour it directly on and stamp it with Blooming Bud wax seal stamp.
- Repeat step one, use that with white and black glitter cardstock for the butterfly die cuts and sentiment. Layer the butterflies and also bend the wings for more dimension. Add a Swarovski crystal on each butterfly for the head, adhere the butterflies and sentiment onto the card front.
- For embellishment add a few sequins in odd numbers and going diagonally across.
- Mount the card front onto the card base with foam tape.